HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT CINNAMON BUN
Nothing beats waking up on a weekend morning to the smell of freshly baked cinnamon buns! To me, cinnamon buns should be the unofficial 5th food group! The recipe below should tantalize the taste buds of you and your family. Enjoy!
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 tsp + 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 3 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
Filling Ingredients (Beat together):
- 1/2 cup softened butter (salted)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 tsp cinnamon
- a pinch of nutmeg (optional)
1. In a stand mixer, combine yeast, 1 tsp of the sugar, warm water. Allow the yeast to be activated for 5 minutes (it will by frothy)
2. Add warm milk, eggs, 1/4 cup sugar, melted butter, flour, and salt
3. Beat on a medium speed (using a dough hook) for approximately 4-5 minutes until the dough forms and doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl. Use a bit more flour if needed.
4. In a large greased bowl, place the dough and cover with plastic for 2- 2 1/2 hours to proof. It will double in size.
5. After the dough is proofed, roll the dough on a floured surface into a rectangle.
6. Spread the filling evenly over the rolled dough.
7. Roll up slowly, with the long side first.
8. Cut into 1 1/2- 2 inch pieces with a sharp knife.
9. Place in a pan and cover for approximately 1 hour.
10. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and bake 30 minutes until golden brown