Lemon Poppyseed Cake
MMMM....lemons! I really can't get enough fresh fruit in my baking. The refreshing taste of lemons is just perfect for springtime!
Give this easy-to-make cake a try, and Happy Spring!
3 cups sifted flour (360 grams)
2 cups white sugar (396 grams)
1/2 tsp salt (3 grams)
1 tsp baking powder (4 grams)
1 1/2 cups salted softened butter (339 grams)
1/3 cup buttermilk (74 grams)
2 tsp lemon extract (8 grams)
1 Tblsp lemon zest (zest from 1 lemon)
1/3 cup poppy seeds (45 grams)
1/3 cup white sugar (66 grams)
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (juice from 1-2 lemons to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In a bowl, blend flour, sugar, salt and baking powder with an electric mixer
3. Add butter, buttermilk and 3 of the eggs and beat on a low setting at first and then a higher speed for a couple minutes.
4. Add lemon extract and zest and then the remaining 3 eggs one at a time. Blend on high speed after each egg just until well blended. Add poppyseeds and blend on low.
5. Pour the batter into a parchment lined pan and bake for 50 minutes-1 hour. Stick a toothpick into the centre to check if its clean (that means its fully cooked!)
6. Prepare the glaze by boiling sugar and lemon juice together until the sugar is dissolved. Brush the glaze over the baked cake and enjoy!
Don't forget to subscribe with your email address for new recipe updates!